Wednesday, August 6, 2014

EOC: Week 1: Best and Worst Jobs

Through out my four years of employment I have had exactly four jobs, and out of those four one of them was the worst job you could think of, and the one I currently work at is the best job I could ask for at this time in my life.

The worst job I have ever worked at was at a retail clothing store. The store was managed by young girls, and the owner was originally from Korea, but I barley saw her, and when she did come around is was like Cruella Deville stepping into the building everyone feared her. I worked their for about nine months and throughout those nine months I noticed this company seemed a little racist. They would hire Korean people to replace management whenever a manger would get fired, and they even demoted a manger to assistant manager and had a Korean lady come and fill in her place. Mind you these people were great people, but they had no real experience with retail or how to even manage a store, they had us the employees who had been working there and the assistant manager training and helping out the new managers. I was even helping train new employees who got hired with better pay. "Hospitality and tourism organizations that implement valuing-diversity efforts move beyond race and gender concerns and attempt to provide an environment that is welcoming and rewarding for every staff member."(Chapter 1 page 16)  They just over all are a horrible company with poor management, and the owner is stuck up in her own world, which is why I believe they have not progressed in the past couple years.

The job I currently work at is one of the best jobs I could ask for. My job really appreciates their employees and they show it too. They start you off with good pay and room for growth in the company. I work at a ticket booth all up and down the Las Vegas Strip where we have such a diverse group of people in the workplace. The company offers benefits, 401k, bonuses, and raises. The company is really big on customer service and they are also really big on making their employees happy as well. We even get sick pay, and paid vacation! "The best of HR managers actually go one step further and use their compensation programs as an essential tool for attracting and retaining excellent workers, as well as maximizing profits for their employers."(Chapter 8 pg. 264) Not only that but since we sell the shows that play all up and down the strip they also comp the shows for us so we can go see them and experience the show itself so we can talk to our customers about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment